This large parish church, consecrated in November 1900 and with a seating capacity of 500, was built in the Early English style and consisted originally only of a nave, aisles and south porch because the new building fund was insufficient to cover the provision of a chancel and a tower. The architect was a Mr M H Medland FRIBA of Gloucester. Subsequently the chancel, Lady Chapel and vestries were added in 1939 in memory of those who died in the First World War but the church tower was never built because of the continuing lack of money. The adjoining Parish Room was built as a major extension to the vestries in 1980 and is used frequently by the community at large for all sorts of activities.
The church, being relatively modern has few items of historical interest in it but it does contain some interesting stained windows in the south aisle – three that depict St Luke, St Paul and St Barnabas all bearing the wheat sheaf mark of Kempe and three depicting St Richard of Chichester, St George and St Martin. The remaining stained glass window, depicting the prophetess Anna bears the craft mark (a greyhound) of Herbert Bryans. The East window, erected in 1977, was designed by Peter Strong whilst the mural on the West wall, depicting community life in Nailsworth, was painted by Sir Oliver Heywood in 1985. There is no churchyard around the church.
St George’s is the “Town” church where the community gather for the annual Remembrance Day services and the Town Carol Service in December.
A LIVING CHURCH
“At the heart of the Community”
St George’s Church is at the heart of this Community and an active member of “Nailsworth Churches Together” with friends at Christ Church, Quaker Meeting House and the Priory Church of the Annunciation, Inchbrook.
Everyone is most welcome to join in the Wednesday 10.00am Holy Communion and Sunday 9.30am Holy Communion/Sunday School Services (Family Service on third Sunday of each Month) that are set out weekly on the Church Notice Board.
St George’s is open daily for silent prayer or for a few moments away from the busy town. There is a Prayer Board at the back of the church if you wish to ask for special prayers.
As the Parish Church, St George’s is host for the British Legion Remembrance Day, Town Carol Services and the end of term services for Nailsworth Primary and Beaudesert Park Schools. Wedding, Baptism and Funeral services take place throughout the year.
In 2010, as well as celebrating the unveiling of The Last Supper painting by Lorna May Wadsworth on St George’s Day, there are a number of other special services and events which can be seem on our NEWS pages.
A warm welcome will be extended to you all.
ALL SAINTS’ CHURCH, SHORTWOOD
This small country church with a seating capacity of 200 people, situated a few miles from Nailsworth, was consecrated in 1866 and was closed for services on 31st October 2010. It stands on the site of an old Poorhouse in which a weekly evening service had been held for many years previously and which it had become necessary to sell at that time. The money required was raised by private subscription assisted by grants from the Warneford Trustees and the Diocesan Society.
The churchyard is now also “closed” for new burials, but interment in existing family graves is sometimes possible. There is a small memorial garden set aside for the burial of cremated remains.
Because of a rapidly declining congregation and major structural repairs identified after the last Quinquennial report in 2007, the Nailsworth Parochial Church Council resolved with great regret to seek this church’s closure.
Click here for more information on our church and services.